Education and Exam Regulations
Delight Academy B.V. | Ayurveda Practitioner Studies
Education and Exam regulations | Version April 2022
Summative & formative testing
- The academy has two ways of testing: summative and formative testing. The summative tests will be assessed with a grade and the formative tests are meant for the individual learning process of the student and are not assessed with a grade.
- Throughout the study program, students’ development will be assessed through formative and summative tests, assignments and exams. The schedule of all test moments throughout the year can be found in the study schedule and the Learning Management System (LMS).
- Testing is done according to the six test levels of Bloom: knowledge, insight, application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation. The further the student progresses in his/her studies, the more competences are addressed.
- In general, the first three levels are mostly applied in year 1 & 2 and the other levels are more represented in year 3 & 4.
- Tests are compiled with great precision based on the learning outcomes.
- Tests are independent and are, depending on the type of test, administered in the presence of an external examiner.
Requirements for qualification
- To qualify for a (first-, second- or third-) year certificate, the following must be completed with a ‘sufficient’ grade (5.5 or higher):
- all summative tests (graded);
- all assignments during the year (passed, no grading);
- all formative tests (passed, no grading);
- the final exam (year 1 & 2) only: multiple-choice (MC) questions, open questions and essay questions. Each component weighs a given percentage towards the final grade of the exam. This means that in case one of the components is graded insufficient, students can compensate with the other parts.
- Year 3 & 4 will have exams throughout the year consisting of the same components, after each respective module. The grade of each module will count towards their final grade of the year.
Taking a test again
- In case a summative test has not been passed, the student gets a re-examination opportunity at a date set by Delight Academy. In case the student has not passed this second test, then it is decided in consultation with the teacher what the next step should be. Following re-sits will be charged additionally.
- In case a student cannot take a test before the requested deadline, the student must contact the teacher him/herself. If the student fails to do so, the teacher can put the summative test on ‘not passed’.
- When a student does not pass or attend the exam- and re-exam, the first possibility to do a second re-exam is one year later. Extra re-examination costs will apply (Student Statute article 2.4)
- Only in exceptional personal circumstances, a student can apply for a final exam opportunity prior to the following academic year. These requests should be sent to the Student Support Coordinator.
- All assignments need to be handed in before the date of the final exam. In case the student is not able to complete all the assignments in time, he/she needs to get in contact with the student mentor.
- In case the student has not been able to hand in all assignments before the date of the final exam, he/she will get a second possibility to do so after the final test and only after the student mentor has agreed on this. The second end date for handing in is the date of re-examination.
- In case the student is not able to hand in all assignments before the second deadline, and has failed to timely discuss his/her options with the Academy, the student can not proceed to the next year.
- In case the student hands in assignments after the last deadline has passed, an administration fee for correcting the assignments will apply (Student Statute article 2.4).
- Teachers will grade late assignments at specific moments throughout the academic year ( November 20, February 20, May 22 & July 23). Students who have failed to submit their assignments by the given deadline, will only receive their grade at the next upcoming grading moment. Teachers will not be grading assignments on an ad-hoc basis. Students are urged to submit their assignments on time in order not to hinder their study progress.
- The maximum duration for obtaining a (first-, second- or third- ) year certificate is two years. If the student wishes to make use of study extension, he/she should consult the student mentor.
- After gaining the year certificate, it is possible for students to interrupt the study program for a maximum of one year. In case a student wishes to claim this, a request should be handed in to the Student Support Coordinator.
- The total duration of the 4-year-program should not be longer than 6 years. Exceptions to this can only be admitted by the Directors.
- In case students wish to continue their studies in a different year, this should be approved by the Directors. In case of approval, the Academy charges administration costs (Student Statute article 2.4). The Academy can reject such a request in case the size of the group will get too big or in case of a negative study advice.
Registration for exam
- Students will automatically be registered for all exams and assignments as part of the study program. This does not apply if you have received an exemption for a specific module of the program.
- If the student is, for any reason, not able to participate in the final exam, the student needs to inform the Student Support Coordinator as soon as possible, but certainly 2 days before the exam at the latest.
- In case the student is suddenly prevented from coming on the day of examination, the Directors will decide if the student gets an extra chance. This will only be done in urgent cases.
- An attendance requirement of 75% of the lessons (contact hours) per year applies for Students. If for any reason it is not possible for a Student to participate in a class, they are obliged to inform the Student Support Coordinator and Teacher as soon as possible. The Students are responsible for finding a suitable solution together with the Teacher to make up for the missed lessons. In principle it is not possible to catch up. Online classes/webinars do not make an exception from this rule and students are therefore expected to also be present for these. In exceptional cases, links of class recordings (where applicable) are made available to the Students by the Delight Academy for 10 days after a class.
- For the massage module the following applies: to ensure that students achieve their learning goals, this module is a mandatory component in order to move on to the next study year. In case students miss more than one day of this module, they need to catch up during the dates provided by the Academy. The catch-up modules consist of two practical days. In case the students are not able to attend the catch-up, they have to themselves organize a different moment to complete their practical work with the teacher directly (the cost however will be significantly higher as students will then have to pay the full teacher’s fee per hour). Students that have not completed their massage module and assignments, cannot proceed to the following year, so we encourage everyone to prioritize attending during the regular or catch-up dates. (see article 2.4 Student Statute).
- The yearly residential module is a mandatory part of the APS. The costs for accommodation and food are not included in the yearly tuition fee and are thus at the Student’s expense. The amount for room and board, and the cancellation policy will be communicated during the respective Academic Year and need to be paid prior to the start of the residential (see article 2.4 Student Statute).
- The internship is another crucial part of the curriculum and needs to be completed in order to successfully complete the APS. (see article 2.4 Student Statute).
- The attendance of the Students is monitored by Delight Academy. In exceptional cases where a Student has a serious personal reason for not attending part of the APS, a plan will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.
- In the event of premature termination or long-term interruption (longer than one study year) of the APS by the Students, no claim can be made for replacement lessons. The relevant APS Year must be repeated. The financial consequences have to be paid by the Students unless otherwise stated.
- In exceptional situations, and only with the permission of the Directors, Students are permitted to postpone their study for a maximum of one year and continue in another group. A transfer can be requested via a written motivation. Extra administration costs apply, plus the difference in Education fee. (see article 2.4 Student Statute).
- Two members of the examination committee check each final test and assess it on HBO conform (bachelor) level. One of them is an external and independent member.
Rules when attending examinations
- Students must be on time. In case a student is 15 or more minutes late, he/she can be refused to take the exam.
- When students have finished a part of the exam, they can leave the space silently. In the last 30 minutes of the exams, no student may leave the space as this becomes disturbing for the other students.
- In case a student has a question for the examiner, their hand should be raised and no talking is allowed. The examiner will come to the table of the student.
- Talking to fellow students during the exam is absolutely forbidden. Students risk being disqualified and thus not passing the exam. Student’s next chance will be the re-examination.
- Students with dyslexia, or other health issues, are allowed to take their exam on a laptop and will get 30 minutes more time per exam block.. Students with such a request should contact the Academy and arrange this prior to the exam itself.
- In case the exam is online, it is not allowed to take the exam with anyone other than yourself. In case of fraud, the exam will not be validated.
Results of the exam
- Students will be informed about their results via email at the latest two weeks after the examination. In some cases, where students have not passed their examination, they might receive a phone call from the Academy to discuss their options.
- The Program Director, teachers and exam committee members are end-responsible for the correction and assigning of the grades.
- A grade list with the results of the summative tests and the results of the final test can be provided upon request.
Disagreement with the exam result
- In case a student does not agree with the result of his/her exam, the student is asked to get in contact with the Program Manager. The Program Manager can ask another teacher to review the work again.
- In case the student still does not agree with the result of the exam, he/she can hand in a complaint to the secretary of the Examination Committee within 14 days after the final results.
- Possibility for appeal: Delight Academy will do everything they can to solve your complaint. However there is a possibility that the Student does not agree with the answer. In which case, the Student has the possibility to submit the complaint to a third independent party: the FONG. The ruling of the FONG is binding.